Sunday 17 October 2010

Day of Rest - My ar.........

TP had an away match today and needed to be up on top of the Cotswolds at 10 o'clock sharp this morning. This meant that an alarm had to be set and since I have to set one on most days of the week setting one on Sunday really does go against the grain.

So, off we went and arrived at the Rugby Club. I have visited the locale several times with TP's previous team and, when the weather is bad, it is the most god forsaken, wind blown, exposed hell holes of a place on Earth. This is made worse by the fact that they are an incredibly good team and tend to walk over most opposition.

Today was different in one respect, the weather was beautiful. It is probably best that I don't say any more.....

..... back home we lunched and then I took T&M out for a walk round the "three miler" This was their usual constitutional which involves wading through as many ditches and puddles as possible and, when they are not up to their midriff in mud, they are sampling any horse shit they can find.

I got my own back when we arrived home and threw them in their bath!

On the curing front the bacon needed to be removed from the box, rubbed with more cure, rotated and replaced in the fridge. As can be seen in the following picture,an amazing amount of liquor is "pulled" from the meat by the cure.

I suppose it doesn't look that appetising but  there is no odour other than the smell of the aromatics in the cure.This liquid is poured off and the pieces of meat or flitches are re-salted.
As can be seen, the meat is already changing colour and texture as the cure takes effect and fluid is extracted from the meat. Once re-salted the piece of meat that is at the bottom is moved to the top to allow each piece equal potential to dry cure.

This will continue for the next five or six days but, don't worry, I'm not going to subject you to a daily snapshot of a piece of curing meat.

Before I finish I do have one observation. Many curing recipes call for Kosher salt - doesn't that seem a little odd?

3 comments:

  1. 4-6 months?

    Gutted I couldn't have blagged some for the 29th.

    Giscard still holds a special place in my heart (and taste buds).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Yes you will have to wait a while for the air dried stuff but I had planned on bringing round some of the smoked back that I did at the beginning of the month http://badmansjournal.blogspot.com/2010/10/crafty-one-out-back-with-mr-h-robinson.html ..... and I'll bring last year's sloe gin too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely, nicely

    As you well know, the SHE of the house is following your recipe, so will be most interested to savour the sloe gin benchmark

    Yours in anticipation...

    ReplyDelete