Tuesday 7 May 2013

Step forward, stand down

Today started well. Using twisted employee logic; the working week starts today but by tomorrow we will be half way through the week and on the downward slide towards Friday. Fan-bloody-tastic! On this basis it is almost the weekend already and I have very little in my in-box to trouble me.

The weather forecast was for a dry, sunny day so I pulled a shiny Honda from the garage and headed in to the Nearest Circle of Hell. The traffic Gods looked down and bestowed upon me a traffic free, one and a half miles of "S" Bends. These were taken at a sensible sixty five miles per hour* and I must admit I was very tempted to stop, turn around and try them from the other direction.

A sense of duty** prevailed and I headed in to work and settled in to a very empty office. Fortunately Grandad Jack turned up shortly afterwards and we met up in the canteen for tea. The working day went well and I was hailed as a hero for not arranging a review session ... basically no-one wanted to attend the review but when a Director suggests that it might be a good idea to have one there are very few people brave enough to contradict that view. I was asked to set up the session as I had worked with this Director before so I pinged her and used a few magic words carefully selected to fertilise her disinterest. As soon as she was aware that this iteration of the engagement was not providing a firm price and that it was a contract renegotiation she agreed that we could forego the review.

The rest of the day was spent extracting estimates from a delivery model and tidying them up before presenting them to Approvers for their metaphorical thumbs up. By four o'clock I was scratching around for anything to do and decided to head home. As I returned to my laptop I noticed an instant message from IM. He wanted to know if I could be in London tomorrow to attend a meeting with a client. I pointed out that I had prearranged activities for Wednesday but that they could be cancelled if needed. He thanked me and then said he would get back to me if he needed me to travel. I was therefore forced to loiter in front of my laptop until five o'clock to see if I was needed. Five o'clock came with no further contact from IM so I chased for an update. He had no further news so I advised that I was leaving work and would check with him again when I got home.

After a traffic dodging, twenty mile run I arrived home, put the Honda away and booted up the laptop. IM still had no news and asked if I would take a call later on if I was needed up the smoke. I advised that this was fine and then headed out for a walk with T&M in the glorious evening sunshine. When I wandered back in to the house an hour later I checked my laptop and IM had finally advised that my presence was not required in the Capital. It is fair to say that I was relieved by this decision. I was quite happy to traipse down to London and blag my way through a meeting with a client, about whom I know nothing, but I would rather not if it could be avoided. *** What I wasn't looking forward to was the screwing up of my evening having briefing calls and obtaining necessary permits to travel ... Phew, narrow escape!

Today's big news is that TP has been called by the Handcart and Fortified Structure and his first shift of washing up will be next Sunday ...

... welcome to the world of work.
---
* the speed limit is 50 mph you tit!
** stop sniggering
*** it also means that I avoid the pain of having to get travel and budgetary approvals via Dante's tortuous processes

No comments:

Post a Comment