Friday, 18 April 2014

Home Again

For the past couple of days we have slowly been getting back in to the domestic routine here at The Pile.

Our first major task upon our return was a major clean up to remove the dust released by Andy & Steve's efforts while we were away. They have done a great job in The Hall and I now need to get the carpentry sorted and the original woodwork stripped and prepared so that we can get them back in to decorate. It looks like I will have a busy few weeks as there is still much to do.

After getting the house semi-ship shape we headed over to collect T&M from the Dog-Sitter. It was apparent that they had had a lovely time over there and we were much reassured, especially after our last experience with Boarding Kennels.

The rest of Thursday was spent doing the usual post holiday things; unpacking, washing, putting cases away and so forth. I did also find time for a walk around the Three Miler before we all collapsed on the sofas in the lounge and headed upstairs shortly after the ten o'clock news.

Friday continued in a similar vein with more domestic activity and a morning trip over to Littleton Auctions to preview the lots. 30% was rather taken by a magnificent canteen of cutlery but I am unsure was to whether she will actually bid on it or simply covet briefly.

Upon our return I made a start in the Hall and calculated what timber I would need for skirting boards and architraves. It was then a trip out to the garage to see what I had in The Bad Man timber repository. My luck was in and I have enough to make a start, although I will need to head over to the Builder's Merchants to pick up a few lengths at some point next week.*

There seemed little point in routing skirting boards only to have to do the same again when the remainder of the timber arrives next week so it looks like I will be concentrating on the window sill and architraves over the next few days. I can report that the next couple of hours saw me convert a length of   8" oak floor board in to a very fetching window sill that has been installed and is almost ready for a coat of protective oil.

There was time for a walk around The Tree Miler in the early evening sunshine before 30%'s siblings joined us for a Good Friday Dinner.
* At present The Defender is stuck on the drive behind a skip full of plaster debris.

No comments:

Post a Comment