Monday 3 May 2010

Bank Holiday Monday

What would your "Top Gun" name be?

Here's another of those irritating "getting to know you questions". First things first - I do recognise Top Gun as a poor piece of 80s cinema which is unbelievably badly written and as camp as a row of tents but it was very popular and I understand that elements of it have become part of popular culture with young single men requiring "a wing man" when they go to local hostelries and dances hoping to meet young ladies.

Why they should need a "wing man" puzzles me. How does this friend feel about the role. They are, after all, saying "You are there to make me look better" or to put it the other way "You are the less attractive one". Bloody Charming!

But I digress, The principal characters in Top Gun all have marvellous aliases as short hand for their characters; Maverick, Goose, Ice Man and Viper. A great plot method of reinforcing two dimensional character stereotypes throughout the film.

So, in your private thoughts, what would your Top Gun Name be?

It has to be short and snappy and obviously easy to spell so that the "Helmet Guys" can get it stencilled across the front of your "lid".

"Romantic Interest" would be quite a good one but it too long and not exactly snappy. I suppose you could paraphrase it into the modern vernacular as "Hottie" but I'm not sure that is the sort of message you want to put across especially in a Movie like Top Gun.

Cannon Fodder and Sacrificial Lamb are also out, certainly too lengthy and probably not how you'd like to see yourself described. Mind you - work tomorrow - how does your Boss see you?

I'll leave you with those thoughts as I outline the plans for today and make excuses to myself for the lack of posting yesterday.

Today sees me scuttling between kitchen and garage with a dose of dog walking somewhere along the way.

Yesterday saw me filling up the garage with all of those items we had been walking round in the house for the past few months.

I find it marvellous and an undocumented natural law that an object can go from being visible and tangible to being totally invisible by use of the ancient spell "I'll just put it there for a moment, while I finish this, and take it out to the garage later". These words allow an object to blend in to it's environment with skills that the MOD camouflage unit would be wise to investigate.

This bloody incantation is amazing! It gets used a lot here as The Pile is a bit of a project and whilst the Builders are long gone it will be many moons until it is finished. That is why, with an extra day available, I'm going to try to introduce some semblance of tidiness to the garage. Not exciting but hopefully satisfying and I have ulterior motives.

Right - I need more coffee - and I also plan to make a large pot of Pea and Ham Soup so I am away.

Oh - I nearly forgot - Knowing my luck I'd probably end up with "Eczema"

No comments:

Post a Comment