I made an early start on ancillary components like indicators, handlebars and gauges but there was then an interlude while I waited for TP to emerge from his pit, break his fast and decide on Sunday's outfit. He eventually appeared fully dressed mid-morning and we soon had the bike back up on blocks. Shortly thereafter we had the front wheel out, the forks removed and the casquette and steering stem were lying on the floor. TP received an honorary discharge for services rendered and I headed out to the garage to retrieve a hammer and a selection of drifts. It was then a few moments work to removed the bearings and drive the bearing races from the frame, steering stem and casquette.
By the time I had finished it was lunch time and afterwards I headed around the Three Miler with the dogs. After yesterday's wet snow I was expecting it to be vile but the roads and verges had dried considerably in the cold weather and when we returned none of the dogs needed bathing … I was bloody amazed and I am sure that 30% thought we had just spent the past hour sat in the pub.
In an attempt to convincer her that I had actually completed a walk, I settled on the sofa in front of the fire and snored for the next ninety minutes.
As the afternoon drifted in to the evening I wandered back to the corpse of the Enfield and considered my options. I could do sweet Fanny Adams to the front of the bike until new bearings* arrive alter in the week. I therefore grabbed a box of parts from my stash and started to dry fit the rear brake pedal components …
… that should keep me busy for a while.
---* and a new ammeter … I knackered it dismantling the front end this morning