Tuesday 30 June 2020

Where's Fitter, Fitter or Blamey when you need them?*

For the past few days a rather attractive wildflower has caught my eye at the highest elevation on the three miler.  It has an attractive, reddish coloured, composite flower and I can't recall ever having seen it before.  I took another long look today and cursed myself for bringing neither camera nor 'phone to take a snap and facilitate it's identification.

After a session with Google, I eventually learned that it was greater knapweed (Centaurea scabiosa).  Apparently it's quite common, but I don't think I've ever seen this little stunner around the Three Miler before.

I must try to get a half decent photo before the flowering period ends.
---
* Fitter, Fitter & Blamey - The Wildflowers of Britain and Northern Europe.  This is one of those little nuggets of information that you don't really need, but can't seem to forget.  This was the recommended field guide for an ecology module of my degree over thirty five years ago.  I still have the battered volume somewhere, but can't, for the life of me, think where.

No comments:

Post a Comment