Wednesday 11 September 2024

At least it's not carrots again!

The weather has turned unseasonably chilly and the heating kicked in this morning. The first time this Meteorological Autumn ... in other words it's still bloody Summer.

First job of the day was to pick the remainder of the beetroot. After washing them off, I picked a couple of pounds of similar sized roots and put them on to boil. These were then sliced and bottled in picking vinegar. I really hope they are tasty. I will be very disappointed if they aren't very good.

At least it's not carrots again!

In the afternoon I checked on the two hives and topped up the syrup feeders. Each of the colonies has taken in 2.25 litres of syrup since Sunday afternoon. They will either be eating it, using it to produce comb or storing it for the Winter months. Whichever use, it is encouraging that they are actively taking down syrup. In previous years I have had colonies just ignore feed, and that is an easy way to get a beekeeper worried.

I also spent some time in the veg patch with 30%, re-erecting the bean poles brought down by recent high winds. We had originally planned to take them down, but there are still plenty of young beans, so they can stay up for another week or two.

I also have a nagging feeling that I will be making beetroot chutney in the next day or two. I'm not overly keen on the stuff, but 30% is. She is also about to have her second cataract operation, so I'm guessing that it will be me that will be stood over a steaming pot of vinegar, spices and beetroot, while she recuperates.


No comments:

Post a Comment