Tuesday 3 September 2024

How long before she notices?

30% is spending a couple of days in London with one of her Frolleagues from her last job, so I have been left to my own devices at home.  Whilst she is taking in the delights of the capital I am left to enjoy my own company and attend to whatever task takes my fancy.

This morning I attended to an experiment that I set up back in July.  A bag of frozen celeriac was taken out of the freezer and the remainder of the ingredients for James Martin's cream of celeriac soup were assembled.  Forty minutes later I was blending in the cream and butter and can report that it is possible to successfully freeze celeriac.  I added it to the soup ingredients while still frozen and it worked brilliantly. I have my doubts about thawing it and roasting for example, but I declare my experiment a resounding success.

The only problem is that I have about twenty celeriac plants in the veg patch and am going to need a bigger freezer!

A lunchtime delivery by the DPD driver prompted my afternoon activity.*  There is a bit of a back story to this one, so please bear with me ... 

Our house has a large, subdivided outbuilding. The end furthest from the house is the garage then, working back towards the house, we have the garden store, the double carport, the workshop and finally the store room. Living out in the sticks security is a priority and on moving in we spent an absolute fortune on a set of nine keyed alike padlocks to secure these buildings.

We also commissioned a local metal fabricator to construct some window bars and these have sat leant against the wall in the carport since late 2021!

Well, today I finally got my shit together and installed the first of these window bars in the garage window. The previous owner had installed cobbled together an abomination comprising an undersized metal grill with half a dozen pieces of angle iron screwed in to fill in the gaps.  This complete fucking bodge of a job obviously irked me every time I looked at it, so I spent an hour or so fitting the new metal bars. They look really good, with a central wrought iron grape vine to slightly soften the look. On this occasion I used security screws rather than the easily removed pozidrive the previous owner thought suitable!

This was a job well done and, at this rate, I should get the remaining window bars installed by 2038!

Now to the title of today's Journal entry, the window bars have been installed right in front of the recycling bin and I am wondering how long it will take 30% to notice the difference?

---

* Obviously this was once I had completed the mandatory two hour kip on the sofa

No comments:

Post a Comment